Soups

recipes, and all things food! books, shows etc.

Moderator: Fashionista

Soups

Postby AC » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:21 pm

WOW, I just noticed this thread is here....this is GREAT.

Just wondering if anyone has a good butternut squash soup recipe. I have never made it before, but am interested in trying it. TIA to anyone who might be able to share a recipe.
AC
**Deactivated**

Postby SavannahStar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Uncle Joe and his l'il butternut squash.

:P

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe #77825

Good comfort soup. I like to make extra bacon to crumble on top. It does have a little heat to it, so if your taste buds are sensitive, cut back on the red and black peppers. Recipe comes from Southern Living.
by Kim127

8 servings
1¼ hours 25 min prep

6 slices bacon
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 granny smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 (12 ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed or 3 lbs fresh butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 (32 ounce) container fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup whipping cream
sour cream (for garnish)
ground red pepper (for garnish)

Cook bacon slices in large pot until crisp.
Remove bacon and drain.
Reserve 2 tbsp drippings in pan.
Crumble bacon and set aside.
Saute onion and carrots in bacon drippings over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes (until onion is tender).
Add celery and apple to pan and saute 5 minutes.
And garlic and saute 1 minute.
Add squash and chicken broth.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Process mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
(Hot mixtures will erupt out of blender if too full- believe me I know).
Return mixture to pot.
Stir in lime juice and next 7 ingredients.
Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until thickened.
Top soup with crumbled bacon and garnish with sour cream and red pepper.

http://www.recipezaar.com/77825

SavannahStar
**SuperStar**

Postby AC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:35 am

SS.....thanks for that...it sounds so good. My family and I went to Universal over the winter break and ate at Emeril's! I ordered a bowl and it was so good! Very rich, but excellent! Thanks for the recipe!
AC
**Deactivated**

Postby chance » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:13 am

SS that does sound good. Has to be good, has bacon in it. :D
chance

OK, this is one of my all time favs!!!

Postby AC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:53 am

Shrimp Bisque

3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 ½ pounds of medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (reserve shells)

¼ cup butter

1 large onion, diced

1 carrot, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

2 ½ cups water

1 cup dry, white wine

¼ cup regular, long grain rice (see my note at bottom)

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon of salt

¼ teaspoon cayenne

3 chicken flavored bouillon cubes

1 – 16 oz. can tomatoes

2 cups of heavy cream

1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, in hot olive oil, cook shrimp shells until pink, stirring constantly with slotted spoon. Discard shells, leaving flavored oil in Dutch oven.

2. Add shrimp to oil and cook, over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes: spoon into bowl.

3. Reduce heat to medium; add butter, onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionally until tender.

4. Stir in next 7 ingredients and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove Dutch oven from heat.

5. Discard bay leaf. Drain juice of tomatoes into rice mixture. Remove seeds from tomatoes; stir tomatoes into rice mixture and add cooked shrimp.

6. In a covered blender container at high speed, blend one half of mixture at a time until smooth.

7. Return shrimp mixture to Dutch oven; stir in cream. Over medium heat, heat just to boiling.

NOTE: I cook the rice before putting it into the mixture, as it seems to take so much longer to cook and when it is blended, it will leave the soup with a crunch texture if the rice is not cooked enough. I also add hot sauce after stirring in the cream.
AC
**Deactivated**

Postby chance » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:22 am

AC Shrimp bisque sounds great. I am gonna have to try this one.
chance

Postby AC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:27 pm

chance wrote:AC Shrimp bisque sounds great. I am gonna have to try this one.

Chance, it's kinda messy to make, but OMGosh, it is so good!!!
AC
**Deactivated**

Postby chance » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Pastor Tom's Tortilla Soup Very EASY

16 ounce can tomatoes
1 medium onion, cut up
2 clove garlic
4 tablespoons snipped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon sugar
8 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast cut up
2 or 3 *chipotle peppers and little adobo sauce

shredded Monterey jack cheese
avocados cut up
Tortilla chips
Sour cream

In blender combine undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and sugar. Cover and blend till nearly smooth. Put mixture into a large pot with chicken broth, chicken and chipotle peppers. Bring to boiling; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Put crunched tortilla chips in a bowl with cheese, avocados, and sour cream (omit if desired) . Ladle soup over; serve immediately. Makes 8 or 10 servings.

* CHIPOTLE PEPPERS ARE VERY IMPORTANT IN THIS RECIPE. IT Won't be good without them.

Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence This one is good also but a little more difficult.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium white onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
3 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
1 quart chicken stock, recipe follows
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Canola oil, for pan-frying
8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
1 cup shredded Jack cheese, optional
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving

Place a stockpot over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy. Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1-inch of canola oil in a skillet over medium-high flame. When the oil begins to smoke, add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until they are crisp on all sides. Remove to a paper towel-lined platter and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot.

Ladle the hot soup into 4 soup bowls and put a pile of shredded chicken on top of each. Top with the diced avocado and fried tortilla strips (and cheese if using). Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.

Chicken Stock:
1 whole free-range chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), rinsed, giblets discarded
2 carrots, cut in large chunks
3 celery stalks, cut in large chunks
2 large white onions, quartered
1 head of garlic, halved
1 turnip, halved
1/4 bunch fresh thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Place the chicken and vegetables in a large stockpot over medium heat. Pour in only enough cold water to cover (about 3 quarts); too much will make the broth taste weak. Toss in the thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns, and allow it to slowly come to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, partially covered, until the chicken is done. As it cooks, skim any impurities that rise to the surface; add a little more water if necessary to keep the chicken covered while simmering.
Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board. When its cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones; hand-shred the meat into a storage container.

Carefully strain the stock through a fine sieve into another pot to remove the vegetable solids. Use the stock immediately or if you plan on storing it, place the pot in a sink full of ice water and stir to cool down the stock. Cover and refrigerate for up to one week or freeze.

Yield: 2 quarts
chance

Postby Arubalover » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Potato Soup Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, diced
• 2 rib celery, diced
• 1 clove garlic, diced
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 6 cups chicken broth
• 3/4 cup diced country ham or bacon
• 3 medium potatoes, diced
• 1 cup fresh chopped spinach
• 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• 1 cup heavy cream
PREPARATION:
Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add diced onion, fennel, and celery. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until well blended.
Add chicken broth, ham, potatoes, spinach, and thyme. Continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stir in heavy cream and add salt and pepper, to taste. Heat through.

This is an excellent soup. I made it for some coworkers and didn't bring a drop home.
Arubalover

Postby dezirae » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:20 pm

I just found this thread, I have to give these soups a try. I love soup in the winter.
dezirae

Postby MsThing » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:49 am

AC wrote:SS.....thanks for that...it sounds so good. My family and I went to Universal over the winter break and ate at Emeril's! I ordered a bowl and it was so good! Very rich, but excellent! Thanks for the recipe!

Emeril's Butternut Squash Soup
From chef and author Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients

# 4 pounds butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
# 1 cup finely chopped onion
# 2 bay leaves
# 2 teaspoons brown sugar
# 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
# 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
# 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
# 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
# 4 cups chicken broth
# 1 teaspoon salt
# 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
# 2 cups heavy cream
# 1/2 cup mango chutney

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or baking dish and place the squash cut side down. Pierce each squash half several times with a fork or skewer and bake, covered with foil, until tender, about 45 minutes - 1 hour. Allow the squash to cool slightly before handling. Using a large spoon, scrape out the cooked squash meat, discarding the peel.

2. In a large heavy stockpot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, bay leaves and sugar, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Add the minced ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the butternut squash puree, chicken stock, salt and white pepper, and stir to mix. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the soup is thickened and slightly reduced, about 30 - 45 minutes. With a handheld immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup on high speed. Stir in the cream and continue to cook over medium low heat for an additional 5 minutes.

3. Discard the bay leaves and adjust the seasoning to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnishing each with a dollop of chutney and serve.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

Copyright 2000, Emeril Lagasse
MsThing
***Deactivated: Pending Review***

Postby AC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:47 am

Thanks, Ms. Thing....that soup is VERY RICH....but VERY GOOD!!!
Hillary Clinton in 2003:
“I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are”
AC
**Deactivated**

Return to What's for Dinner?