JonBenet Ramsey: Father recalls slain daughter

Cases that have ended or with less activity are here and old NH stickies

Moderator: Fashionista

JonBenet Ramsey: Father recalls slain daughter

Postby bbeba103 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:51 pm

JonBenet Ramsey: Father recalls slain daughter; she'd now be 21

JonBenet Ramsey's father, John Ramsey, has finally acknowledged what many Americans have long wanted to hear: He regrets showcasing his daughter in beauty pageants and parades. He also suggests that putting the girl front-and-center in the public eye might have contributed to the 6-year-old's killing.

"We were so naïve," he told ABC. "I now believe with all my heart that it’s not a good idea to put your child on public display." Ramsey is currently promoting his new book, out Wednesday, about his struggle to recover from the death of his daughter, who would now be 21.

John Ramsey said he's haunted, in particular, by an incident that occurred just before the girl's slaying, which took place the day after Christmas in 1996.

"Patsy had her sitting atop a friend’s convertible in the Christmas parade waving at the people lining the streets," Ramsey told ABC. "Patsy’s mother later told me that a strange man approached the car during the parade and it made her uncomfortable. I think about these things now and it makes me cringe."

He said he regrets going along with the decision by his late wife, Patsy -- a former beauty queen herself -- to enter the girl in pageants. "Only because -- that possibly might have drawn attention to us," he told ABC. He offered up these words of advice to parents: "There could be evil around you. ... Keep your kids protected."

John Ramsey and his late wife, Patsy, have been officially cleared of any wrongdoing in their daughter's death all those years ago. The couple learned their daughter was missing when Patsy Ramsey woke up on Dec. 26, 1996, to find a ransom note demanding a quizzical sum: $118,000. She ran to her daughter's bedroom, only to find it empty.

The child's lifeless body would be found hours later in the basement of the family's elegant Boulder, Colo., home. Authorities determined that the child had been taken from her bed in the middle of the night, struck on the head, and strangled. The case instantly became tabloid fodder, riveting the nation.

The death remains unsolved.

At the time, JonBenet and Patsy Ramsey's hobby offered a window into what was then the little-known world of child beauty pageants. The interest helped pave the way for shows such as TLC's "Toddlers & Tiaras."

Indeed, it's hard to watch the show without recalling JonBenet Ramsey in pageant poses that struck many people as eerie and creepily sexualized. A photo of Jon Benet -- her head coyly tilted, with glossy pink lips, heavily made-up eyes and fake lashes -- became the mental image of the girl for most Americans.

John Ramsey said he does not watch the TLC show, but finds it disturbing. "It’s very bizarre," he said. He said his wife and daughter had a more carefree approach to it. "We -- they just did it for fun."

John Ramsey says he remembers his daughter in a different light -- as a tomboy who enjoyed hiking and playing with her brother. “I see her, you know, in shorts and T-shirt and hair kind of scruffy and just kind of a kid,” he said.

Ramsey was a well-to-do businessman at the time of his daughter's death. The case had a devastating effect on his career as well as his family's life, as suspicion was initially cast upon them.

His new book is called "The Other Side of Suffering: The Father of JonBenet Ramsey Tells the Story of His Journey from Grief to Grace."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nati ... ed+Stories)
Bbeba103
~*~ True happiness lies hidden within one's own soul for one to discover. We may not find it until we learn how to make others (or loved one's) happy, selflessly. It is what we see in their happiness, that we will find our true happiness. ~*~
bbeba103

Re: JonBenet Ramsey: Father recalls slain daughter

Postby bbeba103 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Posted at 01:23 PM ET, 03/14/2012

JonBenét Ramsey’s father: Why does God let terrible things happen?

After the 1992 the car accident that killed his daughter Beth, his eldest child from his first marriage, John Ramsey writes that his “immature faith in God plummeted to bedrock,” in his new memoir, “The Other Side of Suffering: The Father of JonBenét Ramsey Tells the Story of His Journey from Grief to Grace.”

Over time, Ramsey writes, he began to heal from Beth’s death and became convicted about the truth of the Bible. Then JonBenét, his 6-year-old daughter with second wife Patsy, went missing and was later found dead in the basement of their family home. JonBenét’s murderer was never found, and for years the Ramseys found themselves subject to police investigations into their role in her death. The Ramseys were later exonerated and the Boulder Police Department issued an apology for implicating them in their daughter’s murder.

“Where was God?,” Ramsey asked himself amidst his suffering.

Through the death of his two daughters, and later wife Patsy to ovarian cancer in 2006, Ramsey writes that he began to identify himself with Job, the long-suffering Old Testament figure who lost his members of his family and his wealth but was later rewarded by God for his faithfulness. Ramsey writes:

“Life simply isn’t always fair. God put us on this earth to deal with the unfairness of life armed with His strength, power and wisdom, but forewarns us that life will be difficult at times. Job asked God Why? but he did not get an answer.

“Patsy and I asked Why ? Why was our child murdered? Why did the police accuse us? Why did the Boulder police not investigate all the leads that came to them. Why?”

In the wake of his first daughter’s death, Ramsey writes that his faith was evolving and maturing—just as his daughter was found murdered. “When JonBenét died, I had no doubt she was in Heaven with God. My deep agony was for my loss, not JonBenét’s. I had lost a part of my future on earth.”

“One of my spiritual mentors, a man who taught me how to study the Bible after Beth’s death, told me ‘John, I believe JonBenét and Beth did not spend one more day or one less day on this earth than God intended for their lives.’ That thought was difficult for me to accept and understand. It illustrates the apparent conflict between man’s free will and the sovereignty of God,” Ramsey writes.

Still, deep mysteries remained for him. “I believe man’s free will gone wrong resulted in JonBenét’s murder. But was it God’s sovereignty that allowed such a terrible thing to happen?”

While coming to terms with his questions, Ramsey writes: “I had accepted that Jesus was exactly who he said he was. God, who came to earth in the form of a man to both teach us and provide a sacrifice for a God of perfect justice. I began to think of myself as a follower of Jesus, not an Episcopalian or Presbyterian [the churches Ramsey attended previously]. It made things so simple and clear.”

For Ramsey, it is the story of Job that has encouraged him throughout the series of tragedies, and that gives him hope for the future, writing, ”I must accept that He works all things together for good, even though I don’t understand the reasons or purpose of suffering. I must remind myself I don’t have the eternal picture. I can only see what is before my eyes. I don’t have vision for the unseen.”

“Job reached his peace at last,” Ramsey writes, echoing his own evolution. “’But now my eye sees You,’ he declared in Job 42:5, and what beautiful five simple words those are.”

“Now my eye sees You.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/und ... _blog.html
Bbeba103
~*~ True happiness lies hidden within one's own soul for one to discover. We may not find it until we learn how to make others (or loved one's) happy, selflessly. It is what we see in their happiness, that we will find our true happiness. ~*~
bbeba103

Re: JonBenet Ramsey: Father recalls slain daughter

Postby bbeba103 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:54 pm

I am sorry yet another book is on the works I am glad John found peace in god in the terrible events he and his family suffered, but another book... :roll:
Bbeba103
bbeba103

Return to Old Cases